Life Group Announcements:
1. It was a blessing to have Pastor Joe with us for his final sermon at OB One Church as lead pastor. Please continue to pray for him and his family as they head into this next exciting chapter of their lives for the glory of God.
Life Group Questions:
Preacher: Pastor Joe Houser
Sermon Series: Joy!
Title: God Won’t Let You Drown
1. A lot of times God will allow you to go through difficult seasons in life to get you to let go of things you are holding onto instead of Him. God is in the midst of that even though it may not feel like it all the time (Psalm 23:4).
Is there a particular situation in the past that was a trial or maybe a confusing time and God brought you through the other side? What did He teach you in that season? If you feel comfortable, please share that with your group to help encourage others and build their faith.
2. In order to grab a hold of what is next, we need to let go of the past. We often act this out in worship or prayer when we raise our hands wide open to God, letting go of everything the world offers and receiving everything God offers.
Why is it healthy to let go of certain things that we may think are good for us? Would you agree that it proves where our priorities are? Would you say that it builds dependence on God?
3. When we are fully obedient to God, it is only then that we experience the full blessing of God (Jeremiah 29:11). There are times in Scripture we see God calling characters to unknown lands to accomplish uncertain things for His glory and their good.
Have you experienced this side of God yet in your journey with Him? If so, what is the main thing you learned? Feel free to discuss this amongst yourselves.
4. If we are not willing to step out (in faith) then we are going to miss out (on the full blessing of God). Of all the disciples in the boat that night when Jesus walked on water, only one (Peter) actually got out in faith. Peter experienced the miracle, the others simply witnessed it.
Would you say that it is easy and even tempting to just put the ball in God’s court only? In other words, He’s responsible for all the action because He’s totally in control and we don’t have to do anything. In what areas are you feeling called by God to step out of the boat (like Peter did in Matthew 14) and to experience the power of God and not just witness it?
5. Pastor Joe reminded us to not doubt in the dark what God has shown us in the light.
What does this mean to you? Is it easy/common to only trust and believe God in the light? Have you grown in trusting God in the dark times?
Bible Verses Read Sunday:
• Matthew 14:22-33 (Main text)
• Psalm 23:4
• Jeremiah 29:11